The National Automotive Design and Development Council's vision and mission are sub-sects of the Federal Ministry of Trade and Investment vision, which is "to transform Nigeria into a modern industrialised nation" and mission statement is "to design and implement policies, programmes and strategies for an effective, competitive and diversified private sector led industrialisation process".
To position Nigeria as one of the leading automotive manufacturing nations in the world.
To create an enabling environment for the manufacture of Nigerian made vehicles of international standards at competitive prices using local human and material resources.
The Council pursues this aspiration through the creation of an enabling environment achieved by an appropriate mix of protective measures, incentives, regulatory activities, and local content programmes.
The incremental results of this effort potentially generate large employment, transfer technology, boost transportation capacities, save foreign exchange and even bring about export. The Council's policy activities essentially complement the industrial policy of Nigeria.
* Regularly study and review the automotive parts components development industry in Nigeria;
* Evolve a local content programme specifying which component parts are to be continuously deleted from the imported Completely Knocked Down parts;
* Recommend incentive and protective measures to ensure compliance with approved local content programmes;
* Forecast the demand and supply patterns for various types of automotive vehicles produced in Nigeria and the basic raw materials requirements;
* Prevail on government to patronize local automotive industry to boost capacity utilisation through hire purchase scheme amongst others;
* Support plant/industry expansion and infrastructure needs through provision of soft loans;
* Establish a test centre for the certification of standards and quality assurance;
* Establish a specialised training, design and development and mass production centres;
* Engage in capacity building and up grading of manpower;
* Extend grants to support R & D activities in institutions; and
* Through its Ombudsmann Committee, to respond to public complaints on locally manufactured products or the activities of manufacturers.
Expectation from the Automotive Industry.
* Reciprocate government gesture by offering their products at realistic prices;
* Be true and honest enough to furnish NADDC with information on their operations;
* Integrate auto parts certified by the Standards Organisation of Nigeria in locally assembled products;
* Disclose specific technical details to components/parts manufacturers to enable them produce as appropriate;
* Pursue local content deletion programme; and
* Abide by all government rules and regulations.