The Council supports research work aimed at advancing the frontiers of technological development in the sub-sector. This is to be done by direct grant to related research project would only be supported if the assessment panel finds that
- It is relevant to the development of the automotive sector;
- It is technically feasible and have potential for commercialization;
- The raw materials, infrastructure and relevant manpower to conduct the study are available.
The take-off of this scheme was advertised and many organization have submitted R&D proposals for funding. These proposals are being assessed. A project, “The development of production Tools for the commercial production of 3 HP Petrol Engine” submitted by Prof. A.O.A Ibhadode of the University of Benin has been funded with #3.33585 million. Other applications are being assessed. A committee has been set up with Raw Materials Research and Development Council (RMRDC) and other stakeholders to advice on research and development priorities in the automotive sector.
Berekotry Industries Nig. Ltd, was awarded a grant of # 4.00 million for R&D to perfect the production of Auto lubricating grease of various grades from Hexose Cassava, petroleum oils and saponification materials in 2010.
INDUSTRIAL INFRASTRUCTURE SERVICES
Establishment of Automotive Test Centre
National Automotive Design and Development Council (NADDC) is to establish a test centre to achieve the following objectives:
- To ensure the safety and health of Nigerians
- To develop local automotive content
- To ensure the good operation and maintenance of Nigerian vehicles
- To obtain capability to conduct homologation tests
To achieve that objective, the NADDC wants to establish the following laboratories:
- Component testing lab
- Automotive Materials lab
- Emission testing lab
- Vehicle evaluation lab
- fatigue/structural evaluation lab
- Power train evaluation lab
- Automotive electronics lab
- Noise/vibration lab
The feasibility study for the establishment of the test centre has been concluded and initial steps for its establishment started. Ninety-four (94) automotive safety standards have been developed with the standards organization of Nigeria (SON) and other stakeholders.
Nigerian Vehicle Project
NADDC has a programme for the design and prototying of a low cost Nigeria vehicle. Activities under the programme this year include:
- Development of a Truck/Van NADDC is working with the Nigeria automotive Industry to develop a truck/van for the commercial use and passenger transport.
- Collaborating with Martaba Technologies NAC is collaborating with Martaba Technologies to design and develop a van that will be well suited to Nigeria conditions.
The merger of the Council with CADD has been effected. This means that all the projects and programme of CADD have now assumed by the body to be called the National Automotive Design and Development Council (NADDC). These projects include the acquisition and effective deployment of computer work stations, engineering design software and Computer Numerical Control Machine (CNC) machines.