In many countries around the world, the automotive industry plays both a strategic and catalytic role in economic development in respect of the following:
- Employment creation (with the potential to contribute up to 10% of jobs);
- GDP contribution (up to 10%);
- The beneficiation of raw materials and local industrialisation through the value chain which spans a range of activities which include design and development, manufacturing and service related activities such as marketing and sales and maintenance / after sale service;
- Small, Medium and Micro-Enterprises (SME) development in respect of automotive parts, components and services;
- Skills development;
- Technology and innovation (Research & Development).